2024 Whole Life Agenda - Federal
Pregnant Workers Fairness Act (signed into law in 2023): Amicus brief submitted by DFLA on regulations
- requires covered employers to provide reasonable accommodations to a worker's known limitations related to pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions unless the accommodation will cause the employer an undue hardship.
H.R. 26 - Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act (passed House on 1/1/2023 by a vote of 220-210)
- establishes requirements for the degree of care a health care practitioner must provide in the case of a child born alive following an abortion.
Make Birth Free - Senate bill expected to be introduced soon
H.R.6918 - Supporting Pregnant and Parenting Women and Families Act (passed House on 1/28/2024 by a vote of 214-208)
- Prohibit the Secretary of Health and Human Services from restricting funding for pregnancy centers.
- DFLA submitted an Amicus Brief.
H.R.6914 - Pregnant Students’ Rights Act (passed House on 1/18/2024 by a vote of 212-207)
- Requires institutions of higher education to disseminate information on the rights of, and accommodations and resources for, pregnant students.
Pregnancy Assistance Act (fund the Pregnancy Assistance Fund enacted as part of the ACA)
Extend Child Tax Credit
- DFLA joined a coalition to promote the extension,
- DFLA cosigned several letters with pro-life leaders to urge the extension.
Paid Family Leave
- DFLA is part of a working group to advance bi-partisan cooperation to advance a paid leave bill.
Perinatal Hospice Grants
- DFLA drafted a bill and is working to find a bill sponsor.